Yoga and Diet
Three approach of diet
- Modern approach
- Ayurvedic approach
- Yogic approach
Composition of diet
Use of components
- Cells are made up of proteins.
- Energy for every work is produced from carbohydrate.
- Various secretions are formed from fat.
- Energy is stored in the form of fat.
- Vitamins and minerals helps in various chemical processes.
Necessity of digestion
Chemically, our foods are complex substances
We have to make it simple, so as they become suitable for the body
Digestion is the process which converts complex substance into simplex
|Proteins||Amino Acids||Stomach, Small int.|
|Carbohydrates||Mono Sachharide||Mouth, Stomach, Small int.|
|Fat||Fatty Acids||Small Intestine|
Mediums for digestion
Two mediums for digestion
- Acidic – in stomach
- Alkaline – in intestine
- About 5o% digestion happens in the stomach and 5o% in intestine
Schedule of digestion
- Stomach – 2-3 Hrs
- Small intestine – 3-5 Hrs
- Large intestine – 5-8 Hrs
- If digestion takes more than
- 12Hrs, fermentation starts
Combination of food is very important: Fruits 2-3 Hrs; Milk 3-4 Hrs; Milk + Fruits 10-12 Hrs
Ideal time is 8-10 Hrs for digestion (it depends on the type of food and state of digestive organs)
Athlete has a stronger digestive power than officer. If food contains excess of carbohydrates and fat, fat inhibits the digestion _ excess fat covers the stomach walls and block the secretions. Because when the proteins are being digested, fat remains unchanged
- Disturbance in regular chemical process.
- Fermentation of food
- Formation of toxic material.
- Various diseases.
Disease due to indigestion
- Skin allergy
- Piles and many more
- Indigestion Toxins
- Disturbed Metabolism Indigestion
Principal of diet
Improper food combinations
- Difficult to digest
- Responsible for various diseases
- High protein/ high carbohydrate/high fat
- High protein + high carbohydrate
- High protein + high fat
- High protein + high fat + high carbohydrate
Ideal diet schedule
- Have break of 4 hrs atleast, between two meal
- Take the diet prior to 2 hr before your sleep ( possible before sunset for spiritual practice)
- Water should not consume before and after diet
- Small quantity of water or juice is recommended in the middle of your meal
- ½ of solid food +1/4 of liquid food+ ¼ of empty stomach
3 humors they have identified
- Hitashi – Take according to your constitution
- Mitashi – Take in proper quantity
- Kalabhoji – Take in proper time
- Jitendriya – Control your mind during eating (it affects the prana)
|Guna||Psychological view||Physiological view|
|sattva||Peace, awareness and awareness Energy for higher development Quietness||Easily digestible and healthy Nourishes the body No over secretions from glands|
|rajas||Disturbance, irritability, instability Over thinking and over reacting||Increases the movement and glandular secretions Stimulates the digestion/metabolism|
|tamas||Sleepiness, dullness ignorance, antisocialism||Heavy, produces indigestion Formation of toxins, lethargy in the body Digestion more than 12Hrs|
Sign of digestion
- Urge of defecation
- It breaks vicious cycle of indigestion
- It removes toxic waste from the digestive tract
- It improves your appetite
- it reduce sensitivity and irritability of various organs.
Asana for good digestion
- Crocodile variations
Asanas which gives light pressure on the stomach _ Blood circulation, setting proper tone of the inner organs, improving peristalsis Asanas also helps on the level of ganglions ” restoring proper activity.